Monday, October 15, 2012
Welcome to the work week with a meeting tonight to talk about an overlay district as the foliage photo contest comes to the final days.
1. The City Council will be hearing from developers about a proposed mixed use overlay district tonight at 8 p.m. This important discussion could lead to 100 acres of industrial land being opened up to the creation of 300 residential units. If you don't tune in tonight make sure to check back tomorrow for all the coverage. 2. Last week was big for crime in Marlborough. We compiled some of the larger stories together into one piece that ran Sunday. 3. The Planning Board will also be discussing the mixed use overlay at their meeting at 7 p.m. tonight. 4. The photo contest is going strong. It's coming to the last days to submit your foliage photos. So get posting. 5. If you missed our weekly round up of Craigslist finds, there is still plenty…
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
The developers have cut the numbers but the controversy remains around Marlborough's proposed "friendly" 40B.
The developers of the "Brookview Village" 40B have cut the number of units at the complex down to 225 following a request by a Zoning Board of Appeals member. "I think that would remedy some of the issues that you have," said Board Member Paul Giunta in reference to drainage and wetlands at a meeting with the developers last month. The developers responded with a plan that cut the development down from the proposed 243 units to 225. The portion of affordable units remains the same although the number drops to 56. This would continue to ensure that Marlborough would not go below it's 10 percent affordable housing requirement until 2029, according to representatives from the developer. Brookview Village is a 225 unit "friendly 40B" apartment…
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
The Planning Board has taken a positive stance on the "Brookview Village" 40B development following a presentation of a revised proposal.
The "Brookview Village" 40B development would bring the kind of housing Marlborough needs to support area businesses said members of the Planning Board to the Zoning Board of Appeals Tuesday. "In general; we think this is a good idea," said Planning Board Member Philip Hodge. "In terms of the development of our city and in terms of planning for the long term it really looks beneficial." Brookview Village is a 225 unit "friendly 40B" apartment complex that is planned to be located off of Ames Street. The board's support centered around bringing more housing alternatives to the traditional single family homes of the area. "This is an idea that I was advocating ten years ago and I am really pleased to see someone proposing a specific project…
Monday, September 24, 2012
From a potential drive-thru at the Dunkin Donuts on Main Street to the color of fall; we have the information you need right here.
1. Did you see yesterday's best of Craigslist? It features 30 free goldfish being given away somewhere in Marlborough. Click through as there may still be some fish left along with the other interesting finds from Craigslist. 2. Fall has officially sprung. We have even already noticed some leaves changing around Marlborough. 3. A public hearing for the Ravenswood subdivision will be held tonight in front of the Planning Board at 7:30 p.m. The subdivision is located on Sudbury Street. 4. Dunkin Donuts will be speaking to the City Council about the possibility of a drive-thru window at their 54 Main Street location. The location does not currently have a drive-thru window. 5. The City Council will also discuss a $46,921 request from the …
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
The Blackhorse Farms development has received an extension through next year with multiple conditions following complaints from immediate neighbors.
The Blackhorse Farms development received a permit extension through December of 2013 as the Planning Board laid out nine conditions for their continued work. "We figure lets give it a try," said Board Chair Barbara Fenby who explained she would not be agreeable to a two year extension. The extension was granted to the nine lot development off of Farrington Lane. Only one lot has been completed — and was sold for roughly $900,000 — and the remaining lots will be built as they are sold, said James McLoughlin the engineer for the project who agreed to the conditions. Among the conditions of the extension were leveling gravel, installation of street lights along Slocumb Lane, installation of granite curbing and no blasting in the area for the…
Monday, August 27, 2012
From the City Council meeting tonight to art classes, we have everything you need to know about Marlborough for the day.
1. Mosquito spraying will take place beginning at 8 p.m. tonight along the Northborough line following the discovery of West Nile Virus in Marlborough. 2. City Council will meet tonight at 8 p.m. at the City Council Chambers in City Hall. 3. The Planning Board will be meeting at 7 p.m. They will be discussing a number of subdivisions. 4. The Post Road Art Center will be holding art classes for children today. 5. In 1883 the eruption of Krakatoa rocked the world, literally, with some of the most massive volcanic activity in modern history.
Monday, April 25, 2011
Here is a list of things going on in and around Marlborough today.
1. There is about a 50 percent chance that it rains in Marlborough today and an expected high of 55 degrees, says the National Weather Service. 2. It is back to school today for Marlborough youth. Click here to see this week's sports schedule. 3. The adult book club will be held at the Marlborough Public Library today at 6:30 p.m. They will be discussing Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison by Piper Kerman 4. The Planning Board and the City Council will both meet this evening at 7 and 8 p.m. respectively. Click on the link to see the agendas. 5. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. Interested in what's going on in the…
Monday, March 28, 2011
Here is a list of things going on in and around Marlborough today.
1. After a clear and cold night, the National Weather Service expects a high in the low 40s with increasing clouds, and a stiff breeze from the west. 2. There are Planning Board and City Council meetings today at City Hall. Click on the links the see the respective agendas. 3. Today is movie day at the Marlborough Senior Center on Main St. The show begins at 1 p.m. Click here to see the rest of today's calendar. 4. There are plenty of sporting events and practices going on at Marlborough High School today including baseball, tennis and volleyball. Click here to see the full schedule. 5. Do you know any local youngsters deserving of recognition? Marlborough Patch features a Whiz Kid each week who has done something special. Follow this …
Monday, March 14, 2011
Here is a list of things you might want to know today.
1. Today will end up being a bit cooler than the last few days, according to the National Weather Service. They expect partly-cloudy skies with a high of 41 degrees. 2. Check out the Marlborough Economic Development Corporation. They are working hard to develop a master plan for the City that would attract business and other opportunities. 3. The Worcester Business Journal posted some interesting numbers concerning Evergreen Solar's recent troubles. The company based in Marlborough closed a Massachusetts plant recently, and have begun outsourcing work to China. 4. There is going to be a puppet-making workshop at the Marlborough Public Library today starting at 4 p.m. The class is limited to 25 kids, and registration is requested. 5. …