Milford Man Arraigned on Charges of Assaulting Police

A 21-year-old man is being held after arraignment Wednesday on charges of assaulting police who were attempting to get him into handcuffs. An officer applied a Taser twice during the scuffle.

Three Milford Police officers were reportedly assaulted by a 21-year-old man as they tried to get him into custody Tuesday night on three felony warrants. One detective was reportedly punched and kicked.

A Milford officer tased the suspect two times, applying the stun gun directly to his buttocks and leg, in an effort to get him under control, according to court records.

Denzell Cameron, 21, of 10 Claudette Dr., Apt. 5, Milford, was arraigned Wednesday in Milford District Court on three counts of assault and battery on a police officer, one count of wanton destruction of property more than $250, and a charge of resisting arrest. 

He was wanted by police out of Greenfield District Court on three charges relating to narcotics, breaking and entering and assault and battery, according to a Milford police department press release.

Following his arraignment Wednesday, Cameron was being held on $5,000 cash bail or $50,000 surety. He is next scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 14.

According to police documents, filed in court, three detectives went to Claudette Drive about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday to take Cameron into custody on three warrants. When they arrived at the apartment, officers could hear voices and a TV inside.

After police knocked, and identified themselves, Cameron's mother opened the door, and intially told officers her son was in Springfield, before attempting to close the door. Detectives Carlos Sousa and Jason Ball walked into the apartment, according to the court documents, and on entering a back room, Sousa discovered a back window screen had been kicked out, and saw footprints in the snow.

Officers ran outside, called for backup, and began searching for the suspect. Ball saw him walking along the building at 10 Claudette Drive, and a chase ensued. According to the police report, Sousa, and Ball, and detective Michael Mastroianni chased Cameron around the building, and through a back lot.

Detective Sousa caught the suspect, and tackled him, in front of a set of apartments. The suspect pushed Sousa off him, and ran toward the entrance at 10 Claudette Drive. Sousa turned the corner, again caught the suspect, and tackled him.

At this point, Ball wrote, in his statement, Cameron began punching and kicking Detective Sousa as he attempted to place him into custody. Officer Nathan Hathway, then on the scene, reached the two along with Ball. Hathway, after warning the suspect to stop resisting, tased him by driving a stun gun to him in the left leg. The man still did not stop resisting, Ball wrote, and Hathway tased him again.

At this point, Cameron's mother came out and grabbed both Sousa and Ball and told them to "stop hurting my son." While Ball pushed her back, the other officers were able to get Cameron into handcuffs.

According to the police report, Cameron's mother is also expected to face charges relating to the incident.

Danu January 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM
He was turning his life around.
Mark Cain January 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Only a face a mother could love, hope he looks like his father for her sake. Lock this Guy up for good, the legal citizens of Milford don't need any run ins with this punk.
Mark Cain January 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Deny, ha ha ha. Good one. Funiest thing I've heard today. Bwa ha ha ha....
Milford Senior Man January 24, 2013 at 02:02 PM
The poor guy. He's just misunderstood.
Christine Warren January 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM
This happened right outside my door. What a delightful neighbor I have!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »