The is investigating an early morning fire that neighbors said displaced a dozen residents at 181 Broad St.
Scanner transmissions reported heavy fire in the multi-family home just after 6:30 a.m. Monday. Three families reportedly lived there; no injuries were reported.
According to resident Magaly Fernandez, who lives in the second floor apartment with her husband and three children, the fire broke out on the third floor, the result of a space heater.
"I was up and my husband had just left for work," said Fernandez, who stood on the street in her pajamas, "and I heard the smoke detector. I walked out and that is when everyone came down screaming. They have kids, too."
Fernandez said the third floor fire reached down to her children's room, which was filled with smoke and water.
Deputy Dan Clement said the fire is still under investigation.
"The owner is on the scene, and the state fire marshal has been called," said Clement. "Three families have been displaced. There were no firefighter injuries and no occupant injuries. The fire started on the third floor and dropped to the second floor, but we're not sure of the origin yet."
The Fire Department requested a rehabilitation truck from the Department of Fire Services.
The fire is under investigation. According to a tenant, the fire stemmed from a space heater on the top floor.
Return to Marlborough Patch for more information.