He smelled smoke but did not know the danger until Marlborough Firefighters ushered him outside, said the owner of Brasilerinho located below the MacDonald Hotel which caught fire earlier today.
"We felt a strong smell like something was burning," said Jardel Fernandez who owns Brasilerinho located below the rooming house on Main St.
Firefighters ushered him out of his business shortly after he first smelled the smoke.
"They were very fast," he said.
Although he did not see fire in his own business, he could clearly see it in the first floor of the hotel.
"The fire was really high already," said Fernandez of the flames in the hotel office.
He was uninjured and waiting across the street to examine the damage to his business. He has not been able to go in to evaluate the damage to his store.