Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Marlborough is expected to wake up to a bed of snow this Friday morning. You can get the , and there is some helpful information included on how to best traverse the slippery stuff.
2. The Coffee Loft has two upcoming art shows and are looking for submissions from the Marlborough community. Art as Protest and Love is in the Air are the themes for the shows and all submissions of art are due by Feb. 3. There is a $15 entrance fee, and the winner of each show will go home with $100. For additional details, call 508-251-1431.
3. On Tuesday, Jan. 24 at 7 p.m. at the Peter Rice Homestead, 377 Elm St., the will present "Samuel Boyd" with Bob Kane, a well-known Marlborough historian and the Historical Society's curator. He will tell the tale of Samuel Boyd, known as the father of our city. From 1840 - 1890 Boyd shaped Marlborough into a city. He was a pioneering shoe manufacturer, a banker, and an entrepreneur. Refreshments will be served.
4. On Saturday, Jan. 28 there will be a Texas Hold-em Poker Tournament at the Masonic Hall, on the corner of Newton and Main streets with a registration at 4 p.m. and a start time of 5 p.m. The pot will benefit the Citizens Scholarship foundation with 40 percent of the pool and the rest will go to the winners of the tournament. The cost is $100 per player. To Reserve a Seat in Advance, Contact Deb Giroux at 508-481-0056or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
5. February is Cancer Awareness Month, and every year the encourages artists and patrons alike to reach out with their hearts and their wallets, to help raise money for a worthy cause. Artists are asked to donate a small piece for “A Show of Hearts,” a silent auction which culminates just before Valentine’s Day. Everyone is invited to bid on these great Valentines, and 100 percent of the proceeds from the sale of these works goes to Art beCAUSE, a grassroots foundation dedicated to eradicating the environmental causes of breast cancer. Drop-off for the Show of Hearts runs Jan. 28 to Feb. 2. Bidding begins on Feb. 3, and culminates in a high-spirited closing bid party on Feb. 9 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. The snow date is Feb. 11, from 3:30 to 5 p.m. More detailed information on submitting work can be found at their store or online.