Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. In advance of the Valentines Day holiday, the Marlborough Hospital Auxiliary has announced the sale of double dip chocolates in the front lobby of the hospital from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Feb. 10, according to a recent report in the Community Advocate. Profits will benefit the Auxiliary's scholarship fund.
2. The Cemeteries Division will be conducting a general cleanup of all city cemeteries. All seasonal flowers, decorations or other ornamentation are to be removed by the end of the day on Tuesday, Feb. 28. Any remaining items will be removed by the Cemetery Division. Lost, missing or damaged items are not the responsibility of the city of Marlborough Cemetery Division or its employees.
3. Wind energy company Vestas announced that it still plans on expanding its operations in Marlborough despite global cutbacks within the company, according to a recent Worcester Business Journal article. Sixty-six jobs are expected to be created in Marlborough in the coming months.
4. Senator Scott Brown will be in Marlborough Saturday, March 3 to attend the Lincoln-Reagan Dinner fundraiser for the Republican city and town committees of Middlesex and Worcester counties. The $60 event at the Holiday Inn, 265 Lakeside Ave., will begin with cocktails at 6 p.m. and dinner will be served at 7 p.m. Proceeds will benefit state congressional candidates in 2012 races. Those interested in attending are asked to RSVP with payment by Feb. 27 to: Treasurer, MWRPAC, P.O. Box 65, Sudbury, MA 01776. For more information, contact Nancy Quimby, Westborough RTC, at 774-249-4431, firstname.lastname@example.org or Kim Shepherd, Northborough RTC, at 508-667-4178, info@NorthboroughGOP.com.
5. has announced that their “Show of Hearts” exhibition and silent auction is ready to culminate just in time for Valentines Day. Local artists have donated small, unframed pieces, and the public is invited to bid on these great valentines. All of the proceeds from the sale of these works goes to Art beCAUSE, a grassroots foundation dedicated to eradicating the environmental causes of breast cancer. The exhibit can be previewed online, but you can see the originals at the gallery. The paintings can be viewed from Feb. 3 to 9 during regular hours, or make a bid by phone or email for one of the pieces. To be sure and win your bid, come to the high-spirited Closing Bid Party on Feb. 9, from 5:30 to 8 p.m., when final bids will be made; snow date is Feb. 11 from 3:30 to 5 p.m.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.