1. On Sunday, March 11 at 3:30 p.m., Assabet Valley Mastersingers with orchestral accompaniment will celebrate “Music Across the Ages” at St. Mark’s School in Southborough. Featured works will be Ludwig van Beethoven’s Mass in C (1807) and Mass of the Children, written by John Rutter in 2003. AVM Artistic Director Robert P. Eaton will conduct the full ensemble, including vocal soloists soprano Andrea Matthews, mezzo Krista Rivers, tenor Arthur Rishi and baritone Donald Wilkinson; the Worcester Children’s Chorus directed by Jennifer Kane; Assabet Valley Mastersingers; and orchestra. The auditorium at St. Mark’s School, 25 Marlboro Rd. (Route 85) is accessible to the physically challenged. Concert tickets may be purchased at Robinson Music Company, Westborough; Shattuck’s Pharmacy, Northborough; Shrewsbury Federal Credit Union, Shrewsbury; English Garden Florist, Southborough; Arts Alliance in Hudson; and both Joy-Den Jewelers and Main Street Café in Marlborough. Tickets are $25 general admission; $20 for students and senior citizens, each price to be discounted by $5 for advance sale. For further information call 978-562-9838 or visit the website.
2. Marlborough Hospital recently announced the availability of the Herbert “Buster” MacLaren Nursing Scholarship. The MacLaren Nursing Scholarship is awarded annually to high school seniors and to those post-high school who are planning to or are currently pursuing a degree in the nursing field. The scholarship is open to residents of Berlin, Bolton, Hudson, Marlborough, Northborough, Southborough, Stow and Westborough. Those who are interested in learning more about the scholarship may contact their school’s Guidance Department or the Education Department of Marlborough Hospital, 508-486-5871 for information concerning the criteria for application. Applications must be received by March 31.
3. Do you represent or own a Marlborough business? If so, look it up on Marlborough Patch and claim the listing. It's a great way to let everyone know what you have going on! Also, if you know of a great local business that isn't yet in our directory, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the business and I'll get it in the works. Also, you can check out this great video on the claiming process.
4. Call to area artists: The deadline for area artists to register for the Arts Alliance Natural Wonder’s Exhibit is Thursday, March 1. The exhibit may be viewed at the Citizens Bank, 17 Pope St. in Hudson from March 6 through April 13 during regular banking hours. The registration form can be downloaded and printed from the "Visual Arts" section of the website and then mailed or delivered to: Arts Alliance, 155 Apsley St., Hudson, MA 01749.
5. The city of Marlborough Cemeteries Division will be conducting a general cleanup of all city cemeteries. All seasonal flowers, decorations or other ornamentation are to be removed by the end of the day on Tuesday, Feb. 28. Any remaining items will be removed by the Cemetery Division. Lost, missing or damaged items are not the responsibility of the city of Marlborough Cemetery Division or its employees, according to a release.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.