Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Happy Valentine's Day! If you haven't chosen a place to celebrate the holiday yet, check out our directory of local businesses and our Valentine's landing page. If you own a Marlborough business, take .
2. U.S. Rep. Jim McGovern, D-MA, spoke to Congress last week about how he perceives the progress of the United States military in Afghanistan, saying, "the American people need to hear the truth..." See the attached attached YouTube video.
3. The Cemeteries Division will be conducting a general cleanup of all city cemeteries. All seasonal flowers, decorations or other ornamentation are to be removed by the end of the day on Tuesday, Feb. 28. Any remaining items will be removed by the Cemetery Division. Lost, missing or damaged items are not the responsibility of the city of Marlborough Cemetery Division or its employees, according to a release.
4. will hold its annual After-Prom All-Night Celebration for graduating seniors and their guests Friday, June 1. This event is planned and organized by high school parents and staff and provides a safe alternative to other high-risk after-prom events. Nearly 100 percent of the graduating seniors attend the all-night party, said organizers. "We are proud that in 26 years of offering this event, none of the students has been involved in an accident or encountered any trouble on what is statistically one of the most dangerous nights for this age group." The group recently launched a new website, but this night is not possible without the donations and support from the community—from the food and beverage donations to financial support and prizes. The group hopes to reach its fundraising goal by April 1. Upcoming events to benefit the all-nighter include:
• Spring Fling: Saturday, April 28 at 8 p.m. at the Masonic Hall on Main Street. Enjoy DJ, dancing and raffles. Contact Robin Zaia (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sherri Rodman (email@example.com) or Edna Fine (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
• Jenny Boston Boutique: Thursday, May 3, 7 to 9 p.m., 45 East Main St., Westborough.
The next meeting of the MHS All-Nighter Committee will take place Wed., Feb. 29, at the high school. Consider volunteering for this worthy cause. Your help means that 350 young people will be given the opportunity to enjoy their graduation weekend in a safe and secure place! For more information, visit their website or email Debbie Munley, Chair of the 2012 All-Nighter Committee or Sharon Buckley, MHS All-Nighter Liaison.
5. The Friends of the will present the first program in the McConnell Author/Celebrity Series in this the 2011-2012 season of their 42nd Year. Featured on Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. will be Tom Ryan, critically acclaimed author of "Following Atticus," the true story of a man and a dog embarking on the challenge of a lifetime. This is author Tom Ryan’s inspiring tale of how he and his miniature schnauzer companion, the 'Little Buddha' Atticus M. Finch, attempted to scale all 48 of New Hampshire’s 4,000 foot White Mountains twice in the dead of winter, said a release.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.