Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Foundation for MetroWest announced Thursday that Assabet Valley Collaborative and are the recipients of grants totaling $20,000 ($10,000 each) as part of their 2011 grant cycle. The award was made today at an event held at Mass Audubon’s Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary in Natick where a total of $162,000 was distributed to organizations throughout the region.
2. The will present "Christmas at the Farm" Saturday, Dec. 10 at the Peter Rice Homestead, 377 Elm St., from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visitors will enjoy a "magical, decorative setting in the 1688 center chimney colonial. Period furnishings, art, displays and an incredible tea-coffee-baked goods sit down with servers dressed in colonial era clothing." The event will also feature evergreens, holly, roaring fireplaces, hot gingerbread and drinks, baked goods, music and more.
3. Mark Vital, a teacher at the , is starting a holiday venture called "Sweats for Vets." He is asking the great citizens of Marlborough to consider buying a sports related sweatshirt for a homeless veteran. Wrap the gift and drop him a message at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will come and get it (or you could drop it off at AMSA). Donated gifts will be given to the homeless veterans of Vets, Inc. on Christmas Eve.
4. will host musician Brendan Hogan this Friday evening from 7 to 9 p.m. as part of their regular musical series. Come out and enjoy some good music in a great environment at 406 Lincoln St.
5. The Booster Club with host their Holiday Craft Fair Saturday, Dec. 10 at the high school from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be many one-of-a-kind crafts and all sorts of potential gifts. There will also be a raffle table, school spirit wear and a goodies table.