The first Nor'easter of the season is not expected to bring a huge amount of snow, but the Mass DOT has some pointers as we have our first winter driving experience of the season.
Safe Winter Driving Tips
- Clear snow and ice from all windows and lights - even the hood and roof- before driving
- Leave plenty of room for stopping.
- Pay attention don't try to out drive the conditions. Remember the posted speed limits are for dry pavement.
- Know the current road conditions. Call 511 from your cell phone or any of the following from either your cell phone or landline phone.
- Metro Boston: (617) 986-5511
- Central Mass: (508) 499-5511
- Western Mass: (413) 754-5511
- Use brakes carefully. Brake early. Brake correctly. It takes more time and distance to stop in adverse conditions.
- Turn on your lights- to see and be seen. Brush the snow off your headlights and taillights frequently.
- Don't use the "cruise control" option driving in wintry conditions. Even roads that appear clear can have sudden slippery spots and the slightest touch of your brakes to deactivate the cruise control can cause you to lose control of your vehicle.
- Don't get overconfident in your 4x4 vehicle. Remember that, if you are driving a four wheel drive vehicle, the vehicle may help you get going quicker but it won't help you stop any quicker.
- Look further ahead in traffic than you normally do. Actions by cars and trucks will alert you quicker to problems and give you a split-second extra time to react safely.
- Leave room for maintenance vehicles and plows - stay back at least 200 feet and don't pass on the right.
- Most importantly please remember to SLOW DOWN! Also, seat belts should be worn at all times - it's the law.