MetroWest YMCA Swim Programs Offer a Mix of Fun, Physical Activity and Safety
As swim season approaches, the MetroWest YMCA encourages children and parents in our community to explore the many benefits of swimming, while also keeping safety top of mind. In the Y’s swim programs, participants can enjoy water sports, enhance or learn new techniques, meet new friends and develop confidence, while also learning safety skills that can save lives. Following are safety tips to practice when in and around the water:
• Only swim when and where there is a lifeguard on duty; never swim alone.
• Adults should constantly and actively watch their children.
• Inexperienced or non-swimmers should wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
• Parents or guardians of young children should be within an arm’s reach.
• Children and adults should not engage in breath holding activities.
In addition to learning lifesaving water safety skills, children can increase their physical activity by swimming. Swimming also motivates children to strive for self-improvement, keep a positive attitude and builds self-esteem.
There are a variety of swim lessons to choose from this summer. Swim lessons will be held in 2,4 & 8 week sessions at our three pools: Framingham Branch, Clearbrook Outdoor Pool and Family Outdoor Center Pool in Hopkinton.
To learn more about the MetroWest YMCA’s swim programs, please visit our website at www.metrowestymca.org