What's Open/Closed Today on the 4th of July?
Today we celebrate our independence! Find out what's open, closed on July 4.
Independence Day celebrates America's birthday (the country is 235 years old this year). It commemorates the anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, which is when the original 13 colonies officially declared their independence from England.
Here's the list of what is open and closed in most states on July 4:
- Retail Stores
- Convenience stores
- Call ahead before heading to any of the above establishments to confirm they are open. Many retail stores may be operating on a Sunday schedule.
- No Mail Delivery - All U.S post offices are closed.
- State Offices
- Town Hall and municipal offices
- Schools (it's summer vacation, but this applies to school offices)
- Stock Market
- Federal Offices
- Camps (check your summer camp's individual schedule)
For those of you traveling this July 4th or heading into Boston for the annual fireworks show, according to the Boston Globe, the MBTA is operating on a Sunday schedule, but "with extra service for customers heading to and from the Esplanade."
July 4th Reading:
Click here to read a copy of the Declaration of Independence.