Displaced Residents Get Red Cross Aid, Fire Investigation Begins
The Marlborough fire that destroyed approximately 40 condominium units on West Main Street Monday morning is still being extinguished, while residents start to receive aid. The possible establishment of an overnight shelter is being considered.
As the flames of an enormous, six alarm fire were quelled by dozens of firefighters from around Metrowest Monday afternoon, the former residents of 271 West Main St. and several neighboring buildings were left wondering where they were going to live.
Most got out of their units at the Lake Williams Condominiums with just the clothes on their backs, and had to watch from the sidewalk as flames consumed the top floor of the building, and thousands of gallons of water were dumped on the building, destroying just about everything else.
While state fire marshals investigated the scene and spoke with residents as to a possible cause for the fire, Red Cross officials were busy preparing the Marlborough Senior Center to receive those that had been displaced.
"Right now we are just working to provide, food shelter, clothing and medicine to those who have been affected," said Suzanne Billings, the director of disaster services for the Eastern Massachusetts Red Cross. "Our operations will be centered out of the 250 Main St. location for the time being."
The Red Cross was working with city officials as of this post to determine if there was a need for the establishment of an overnight shelter. No avenues to for local aid had yet been established, as officials were still working toward identifying all those affected.
"We are asking people to come in and let us know what they need," said Trudy Epstein, a supervisor with the Red Cross. For those who could not immediately make it down to the Senior Center, they were asked to call 508-595-3700 or city officials at 508-485-6492.
Mayor Arthur Vigeant's office said they were coordinating with the United Way, among other organizations.
"We are working with the Red Cross and all of our department heads to try and find a permanent solution for all the these people that have lost their homes," said Vigeant, who was on the scene for much of the day.
Marlborough Fire Chief James Fortin told media early Monday afternoon that a cause had not been determined and would most likely not be known for some time. (The attached video produced by WMCT features Fortin talking about the fire.)
Multiple agencies were on the scene investigating as several towns began returning their equipment to their respective stations. The state fire marshals, ATF agents and the Department of Emergency Services were on scene as of mid-afternoon.
The roadways surrounding the scene were still shut down as of this post.
Continue to check back with Marlborough Patch for updates on this story.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.