Although Marlborough avoided the flooding that ravaged other areas of the East Coast, the damage from Hurricane Sandy has left crews hard at work through the night dealing with the aftermath.
“We had some trees down; nothing compared to last year but we did have some big trees come down," said Fire Chief James Fortin who said that at noon on Tuesday only seven secondary streets were considered blocked.
The city made it through Hurricane Sandy with no reported injuries, he said. However, the weather did leave approximately 4,500 people without power overnight.
“There was no rebuilding until this morning," said Chief Fortin. "After dark, it just slows everything down."
He explained the ongoing winds into the night kept crews from rebuilding. Even after 8 a.m., there were still trees coming down and additional power outages, said Chief Fortin.
The city worked closely with National Grid and forestry crews, he said.
“They are clearing debri and making the roads safe and getting to the problems and restoring when they can," said Charlotte McCormack, Spokesperson for National Grid, of the crews the company has in Marlborough.
City buildings, including the schools, escaped any damage, said Chief Fortin. A few trees did fall into homes and the damage to those houses is not yet known.
Officials have been meeting to evaluate the damge from Hurricane Sandy before making a call late this afternoon or early tonight on whether trick or treating will take place tomorrow.