5 Things You Need to Know Today: May 28
The scoop on local Memorial Day events and a look at the week ahead.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Happy Memorial Day! Originally known as Decoration Day, the holiday first honored those who died in the Civil War before being expanded to recognize all those who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of their country. Flags traditionally fly at half staff until noon and 3 p.m. is set aside as a moment of remembrance.
2. Marlborough marks Memorial Day with a parade that steps off at 10 a.m. at John and Bolton streets and stops at the city’s major war monuments before concluding with speaking remarks at Monument Square.
3. The Marlborough School Committee has scheduled a special meeting for Wednesday afternoon. Agenda items include a discussion of the Marlborough Educators Association’s recent “no confidence” vote in Superintendent Anthony Pope.
4. Registration for the Marlborough Works! resume and interview workshop has been extended. The event takes place Wednesday at 6 p.m.
5. After some summer-like weather, the long weekend may end with some rain with weather.com predicting thunderstorms in the area late in the day but a high temperature of 75 degrees.