5 Things You Need to Know Today: May 2
The United Way is still accepting donations to benefit the victims of the Lake Williams condo fire.
1. There will be a fundraiser to benefit two of the victims in the recent Lake Williams condominium fire. Toby and Heather Bourke lost everything they owned in the fire and were married this past Saturday. The event will begin at 7 p.m. at the Marlborough Moose Family Center. For more information visit the event page on Facebook.
2. All money raised in Marlborough through the United Way of Tri-County goes to support Marlborough programs such as the Marlborough pantry (who have been working diligently to meet the needs of families from the Lake Williams condos), Boys & Girls Clubs, SMOC & the Boy Scouts. Also, the pantry extended their hours of operation to support families in crisis as well as made clothing donations and grocery packages for the families. Our United Way also gave the Red Cross the funds to support their efforts for the Marlborough fire victims, including funding their five caseworkers that were stationed at the Senior Center, client assistance cards for food, clothing, shoes, bedding and linens and rental assistance. Because they are the local United Way supporting Marlborough, they gave the Red Cross money to ensure they served 80 meals and 320 snacks for clients and emergency personnel and distributed adult and child comfort kits and gave stuffed animals to the children.
3. Take a moment to review Stephen Anthony's. As part of our "You Review" series, we are asking readers to rate local businesses. Give a star rating and add your two cents in the comments.
4. State Sen. Jamie Eldridge kicks off his reelection campaign this evening with special guest State Treasurer Steve Grossman. The event will be held at the Hudson Portuguese Club, 13 Port St., Hudson. From 6 to 7 p.m. there will be a private reception with Grossman (Suggested contribution $100), and from 7 to 9 p.m. there will be the campaign kickoff event that is open to the public (donations appreciated).
5. Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick visited Marlborough Tuesday afternoon to highlight the expansion of clean energy company SolarCity in the city, where the company plans to add 25 jobs.
6. (A special number six for today: Thanks to the Colban family for sending along a photo of their young family all decked out in Patch gear!)
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.