5 Things You Need To Know Today: March 19
There is an information session coming up as Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School prepares to embark on a $60 million renovation that will cost the communities it serves a significant amount of money.
1. Olivia's Ride will be held Saturday, June 23 in memory of the late Olivia McGowan who died from Fryns Syndrome in August 2011. This will be a motorcycle ride fundraiser with all proceeds to be donated to the NIC Unit at Children's Hospital in Boston. Registration is $20. For more information see the event on the Marlborough Patch calendar.
2. Don't forget to vote in this week's Best of Patch: Readers' Choice poll. Who do you think runs the best salon in Marlborough?
3. The newly formed theatre troupe Ghost Light Players will be hosting its inaugural show "Almost, Maine" by John Cariani at the end of this week. Ghost Light Players was formed by Kat Alix-Gaudreau (Artistic Director) and Kim Beauchemin (Technical Director) to bring the arts to the MetroWest community. Almost, Maine takes place on a cold winter’s night, where the northern lights appear in a tiny, remote town in the northern-most part of Maine. On this night, the residents find themselves falling in and out of love in unusual and often hilarious circumstances. "Almost, Maine" will be held at 8 p.m. on March 23 and 24, and at 2 p.m. on March 25. Performances will take place at the First Church in Marlborough. Tickets are $15 for general admission, and $12 for Senior Citizens and Children (ages 12 and under). Ticket information is available at www.ghostlightplayers.com.
4. Do you love to sing? Members of the River’s Edge Chorale do and would love to have you join them when they resume rehearsing on April 24 after their winter hiatus. Rehearsals are held from 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays at Hudson High School in the Chorus room, C110. New members are encouraged to join the River’s Edge Chorale as it begins preparing for a special outdoor concert to be held Wednesday, June 20 at Wood Park, 65 Park St., Hudson. The Chorale will sing a selection of spirited music from Broadway and will also sing a patriotic medley accompanied by the band and youth chorus. Visit www.upwitharts.org or call 978-562-1646 to learn more.
5. Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School is soon to embark on a $62.4 million renovation project. Almost half of the project is to be paid for by a special grant, but the remainder will be paid for by the school's member communities: Berlin, Hudson, Marlborough, Maynard, Northborough, Southborough, and Westborough. Public information sessions have already been arranged in Marlborough, Hudson, and Maynard. For Marlborough residents, there will be a meeting at 7 p.m., Monday, March 26 at in the Assabet Valley school auditorium. All seven communities must vote to approve the project before June 30, or the grant will be withdrawn.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.