5 Things You Need to Know Today: June 15
A new waste and recycling program starts soon, and a viral video has folks talking about a hockey mom.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Starting today, the city will begin delivering wheeled carts for automated solid waste and recycling program to each eligible resident. Note, however, that the carts (one for trash and one for recycling) will not be used for disposal until July 13. Beginning July 13, residents who utilize the curbside collection program will have a new automated collection of solid waste and single-stream recyclables. Solid waste will be collected every Friday and single-stream recyclables will be collected every other Friday. Bottom line? No more sorting of recyclables! See a release on the city's website for more information.
2. A YouTube video featuring an angry hockey mom who walked onto the ice and yelled at a ref in Marlborough continues to earn clicks: more than 127,000 as of Thursday afternoon. Have you seen it? Do you think her actions on the ice were justified?
3. If you have some old appliances you're looking to get rid of, shoot over to Hudson on Saturday for an Electronic/Appliance Recycling Day. It's taking place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church, 34 Felton St., Hudson. See the event listing for specifics.
4. Wondering when that road project in your neighborhood, or that you see on your way to work each day, is going to be finished? The DPW has a list of ongoing projects, and their anticipated finish dates, on the city's website.
5. Father's Day is Sunday. Happy Father's Day to all of you dads out there!