5 Things You Need To Know Today: Feb. 6
Scholarship season is well underway in Marlborough.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Congratulations to the all the winners of the John and Abigail Adams Scholarships at the Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School. They will be awarded free tuition for any state college or university they choose. Here a list of the names of the Marlborough recipients: Ashli Berry, Cody Brier, Chelsea Campana, David Carr, Paola Castaneda, Ryan Crory, Alda Do Carmo, John Egan, Lisa Flanigan, Marco Flores, Amy Johnston, Meghan McMahon, Pedro Murta, Jessica Pomerleau, Liliana Rodriguez, Yoselyn Roman, Kaitlyn Saunders, Jacob Stotz, Adam Suvalskas, Fernando Vazquez and Guillermo Vincentelli.
2. Sudbury Valley Trustees, which manages properties in Marlborough, is applying for accreditation from the Land Trust Alliance (LTA), a national organization representing over 1,700 land trusts in America. In 2006 the LTA developed the accreditation program to ensure that land conservation organizations meet national quality standards for protecting important natural places and working lands forever. As part of the application process, the Land Trust Accreditation Commission, an independent program of the Land Trust Alliance, conducts an extensive review of each applicant’s policies and programs. A public comment period is now open. The Commission invites public comment and accepts signed, written comments on pending applications. Comments must relate to how Sudbury Valley Trustees complies with national quality standards, which address the ethical and technical operation of a land trust. A full list of standards may be found at www.landtrustaccreditation.org/getting-accredited/indicator-practices.
3. If you have a Kindle, a Nook, a Tablet PC or any other device that you want to be able to read e-books on, the Marlborough Public Library is offering a free workshop especially designed for you Wednesday, Feb. 15 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Bigelow Auditorium. This workshop will focus on using your device to download the free electronic books that are available through the library’s membership in the CW MARS network. Contact the library at 508-624-6900 with questions.
4. Marlborough Hospital recently announced the availability of the Herbert “Buster” MacLaren Nursing Scholarship. The MacLaren Nursing Scholarship is awarded annually to high school seniors and to those post-high school who are planning to or are currently pursuing a degree in the nursing field. The scholarship is open to residents of Berlin, Bolton, Hudson, Marlborough, Northborough, Southborough, Stow and Westborough. Those who are interested in learning more about the scholarship may contact their school’s Guidance Department or the Education Department of Marlborough Hospital, 508-486-5871 for information concerning the criteria for application. Applications must be received by March 31.
5. Do you represent or own a Marlborough business? If so, look it up on Marlborough Patch and claim the listing. It's a great way to let everyone know what you have going on! Also, if you know of a great local business that isn't yet in our directory, email email@example.com with the name of the business and I'll get it in the works.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.