5 Things You Need to Know Today: April 2
Learn about lasers, nursing and plans for smart Marlborough kids.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. My knowledge of lasers is pretty much limited to what I've heard from Dr. Evil in the Austin Powers' series. But, the engineers at Block MEMS in Marlborough know a lot more. The Marlborough-based company has won a contract from the U.S. Department of Defense to demonstrate its LaserScan products for possible adoption by the department's threat detection program, the Worcester Business Journal reported. There's a more extensive press release on Block's website, but the WBJ broke it down for us: in short, the LaserScan device detects and measures substances on surfaces from distances between six inches and two feet.
2. An open house for Assabet Valley Regional Technical School's 10-month practical nursing program is coming up this month. RSVP online by April 9 to reserve your spot at an information session, which will be held the evening of April 12. Attached to this article is a picture of some current students, who recently spoke to shoppers outside Old Navy about how the program is helping them launch a career in nursing.
3. Our readers seem to be passionate about where they eat. Do they care just as much about where they get their taxes done? Let's see, Marlborough! Starting today, you can vote on the best place to get your taxes prepared. I've been putting off tax preparation, myself, as we never get a refund at our house. I'm also afraid of getting audited. Anyone out there ever get audited? Is it as bad as everyone says it is?
4. Is your kid super smart? (As parents, we probably all would say "yes," to this one, but the type of smart I'm talking about here is the kind that would get the schools to classify your student as an "advanced learner.") Mark your calendar: the Marlborough Public Schools are hosting a parent and community forum Thursday night to discuss the needs of the district's most advanced students.
5. Did anyone go see the Easter Bunny when he (or she?) hopped in to the Solomon Pond Mall over the weekend? If you have pictures, please share them with us, either attached to this article or in our Pics and Clips article (formerly known as The Neighborhood Gallery.)